Sunday, March 3, 2013

Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cake and Showtunes #SundaySupper

"You're never fully dressed without a smile," sang Annie, in one of my favorite musicals of all time.

An idealist, and one of those glass half-full types.

My kind of girl.

But when you think about it, it's not just our facial expressions that can change our day...and the mood of everyone around us.

There's something to be said about accessories.  The perfect purse to match your shoes (yes, the bigger the purse the thinner you look!)  A theme song that you play on the mornings that you just can't get motivated to work out.  Or maybe a special tea cup, that warms your hands on cold mornings, holds your ice cream when you need some foodie love, or even overflows with lo mein noodles on those nights when you forgot to start the dishwasher.

It's our accessories in life that can make the small moments, into meaningful memories.  And make the simplest things in life... stick.

So this week's #SundaySupper is all about cheese, cake... and cheesecake!  Angie over at is so awesome for hosting, and believe me, you're going to want to read each and every one of these recipes!

And for my recipe?  It's simple.  So, so simple.  But served on this beautiful purple platter, with tea from this lovely cup, I couldn't help but think of Mom making this for me when I was a little girl.  And then I remembered how she and Pop loved singing show tunes in the car... well, from Annie, maybe not so much.

I smiled.  And it stuck.

Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cake

6 tablespoons soft butter
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1-1/2 c. flour
1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 c. sour cream
3/4 c. mini chocolate chips
Sugar to taste sprinkled on top (I like a lot!)
 Mix butter and sugar.  Beat in eggs.  In seperate bowl add flour, baking power, soda and cinnamon.  Mix into butter mixture until just combined.  Add in sour cream.  Pour into greased 9x13 pan (I used a 9x9 because I wanted a thicker cake- either is fine).  Sprinkle with chocolate chips and sugar.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes or until nicely browned and toothpick comes out clean.

Want more #SundaySupper recipes?  These take the cake!

Cheese-
  • Savory Shrimp Cheesecake with Herbs and Garlic by
  • Cheesecake au Baileys by
  • Tiny Turtle Cheesecakes (No Bake) by
  • Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Mini Cheesecakes by
  • Chocolate Cheesecake Bites by

36 comments:

1. A good sour cream cake with chocolate chips is never a simple cake! I absolutely love the colors of your dish and cup, LOVE them! Beautiful post. Have a great day my friend!

Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Paula! It was so fun making this cake again after about 20 years, and it was just as good as I remembered! ;-) Appreciate you!!

• I use to belt out the entire soundtrack from Annie when I was in elementary school. In front of the mirror. Ha!! (no joke)

I love the sound of this cake...moist, tangy, chocolatey - I think I may just have to make it. Today!

Replies
    1. OMGoodness, me too, Heather! I couldn't even pick my fav... well maybe It's a Hard Knock Life ;-) Hope you enjoy the cake, it's super easy!

• I've never heard that about the size of the purse and it occurs to me that the purse I carry every day is waaaay too small. What great memories you have of your family and singing show tunes. Thanks for sharing them and this lovely flavorful cake!

Replies
    1. lol! Stacy, not sure where I heard that about the purse growing up, but it seems to work ;-) Thanks for stopping by, and hope you enjoy the cake!

• Thanks to fantastic menu. I managed to get and it also felt amazing: -)
    I have a website together with wedding cake dishes me personally should you be fascinated. You can find it at http://recipes-for-food.com/

Replies
    1. Hi Pia! I checked out your site, and see you are in Denmark! I'd love to visit there some day! And your site is very nice- I love all the history and culture from the different cuisines. I will enjoy learning more about all the interesting types of dishes from other countries. Thanks for stopping by again! ;-)

• You've given me the perfect recipe to use up my sour cream :) Your cake looks and sounds so good! I'm going to try it :)

Replies
    1. Thanks Soni! Yes! And I had leftover sour cream from this and I'm making a White Chicken Lasagna tonight ;-) With this for dessert, of course! Enjoy it!!!

• The bigger the purse, the thinner you look...I'll remember that!! What a delicious looking cake! This is totally something I would make. Simple yet effective!

Replies
    1. ;-) Thanks Lyn!!! And yes, love the simple but effective! My Mom often made this when we had guests so they could snack on something nice throughout their stay with tea of coffee any time of the day ;-)

• This post is full of so many gems - the bigger the purse the thinner you look, using your gorgeous teacup for lo mein noodles when you haven't done the dishes. Hilarious! You definitely brought a big smile to my face with both your words and this fabulous cake. I love baking with sour cream - it just makes the cake so incredibly moist. And of course, you can't go wrong with chocolate chips and show tunes ;)

Replies
    1. ;-) You are so sweet Nancy! I'm glad I added a few smiles, such a fun week with #SundaySupper! Thanks so much for stopping by!

• The simple moments and memories like singing in the car together are indeed precious. (My Dad and step-mom started Tokyo International Players so my brother, his bride and children inherited beautiful voices. When Auntie K is in the car, she joins the chorus, too.) Anyway, I digress. Your lovely tea and cake photo highlight the treasures of life =) And it does seem that any cake made with sour cream AND the essential ingredient of love are always a hit =)

Replies
    1. That is so fun on your family! I enjoy hearing your stories so much, and I'm sure you also inherited a beautiful voice! Thanks for stopping by, and hope you are having a lovely trip! ;-)

• I work for a Broadway company, and Annie is kind of my nightmare show right now! Cakes like this help me through it. :-)

Replies
    1. Hi Susan!!! Oh no!!! But on my end that sounds like a dream job ;-) Hope this cake does help a bit, and thanks so much for stopping by!

• Oh, I love a cake with sour cream in the ingredients...so moist and wonderful! And the addition of chocolate chips makes it even better!

PS...a great pair of shoes can make my day :)

Replies
    1. Yes, Liz! ;-) Next time I'm thinking of adding some butterscotch chips on instead... mmmm! Oh, and totally agree on shoes making my day too lol! ;-)

Thank you for taking the time to comment! It always brings a smile...

Newer Post Older Post Home